Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Demolition Progress Continues

After a few days off for church and a visit to Arizona for a day, I was back to demolition today. I took the morning off from work so I get some progress done. I needed to saw some more flooring up, so I cut three rows by I don't know how many across. Nearing the end of the sawing, it was getting really hard to get the saw to cut, so I bought some new blades later at night for use with tomorrow's sawing.

After lunch my wife and I finally got back to looking at new flooring. We stopped by one flooring store that had a lot of brands and the salesman was very helpful.




Engineered hardwood is our most likely choice. We learned today that installing this material requires a little more preparation and effort than most laminate flooring. This is primarily due to
the way they interlock and how easy it is to repair the floor. I am still trying to decide exactly what type of floor to put down, but was put to ease when the salesman said that the turn around time when ordering flooring is about four days. This will allow us to be almost completely done with the demolition before having to make up our minds. I was thinking that it could require three or more weeks, and that would require us to decide right now.

After thinking about it for a while my wife isn't so sure she likes the color of the above sample, but does like the appearance of the material in the lower right. From at least one company, the material comes in two forms "Engineered Longstrip" which is an eight foot long strip with a fixed width and many pieces of wood being combined together to make the top surface. The alternative is "Engineered Plank" where the tope surface is one solid piece of wood. The one in the lower right, which we like, is the "Engineered Plank."

After going to work for a little while and coming back home for a little dinner my son and I ripped out a few more squares of flooring.

I am trying to get as much of the "open" floor done before Friday so that when my friend comes to help me, we can move some of the furniture in the kitchen and work under it (like the refrigerator)

No comments: