Saturday, July 28, 2007

Nearly done ripping out kitchen floor

Well, I've taken out all of the kitchen flooring but I think there's more to rip out.

My friend that came over yesterday came back for a few hours this morning and we made some great progress. I only needed a few more hours to completely remove all of the flooring from the kitchen and get it outside. The far corner of the Kitchen was the last part to be finished, and now it's all done too.



As part of tearing out the floor in front of the sliding glass door I came across a new section of plywood. At first I was thinking "Wow, new Plywood!" then I realized that not only was it done to fix previous water damage, it too was completely ruined by water damage. So now I have a four to five foot square section that needs to be replaced.



The biggest problem left is getting rid of all of the trash



As you can see there are quite a few stacks of squares left to throw away. Each of those squares is about thirteen inches on a side. They weigh about four pounds each, so I can only put ten of them in a trash bag and still match the forty pound limit. So I have to throw as many of them in the trash can as I can, and put some more of them in bags at the street. We used up all of the extra garbage tags we've had for years, now we have to find out how much they charge for them. I had put some garbage bags out at the street last night. Today I went out to put another bag out there and someone had torn a hole in the bag to see what was inside. I'm guessing that it was someone looking for recyclables, but they could have just as easily untied the top and looked inside.

We're going to spend the next few days reorganizing the kitchen and getting our lives back in order. Next week we start attacking the living room. That requires removing carpeting, which should be significantly easier, of course, nothing is easy.

No comments: