Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Knee Deep in Bad Plywood

After taking a couple of days off, I got back to demolition in the kitchen tonight. After I tore out the bad plywood by the back door, I was literally Knee Deep in Bad Plywood.



I am standing on the dirt below the house in this picture with a big pile of plywood dust at my feet. I had started by pulling out the nails along the joists on either side and just peeling up layers of plywood. You can see them sitting in the backyard in this earlier picture.



Right after this picture was taken, I just stood right on the remaining quarter-inch of plywood and it just bent down under the house. I had to use a jig saw to cut out that piece so it wouldn't rip itself out from under the sliding glass door. I realized at this point that I have to rip out the plywood from under the door, but couldn't do it tonight without any support to put back in. I am going to need my contractor friend from church to come over and give me some more sage advice about what to do in this instance. I really don't want to pull the whole sliding glass door out of the stucco just to fix the wood that it is sitting on. I can see that one piece of 2x6 (I think) was added to support the wood under the door, maybe I can rip that out and put a piece all the way up to the door and have the plywood sit on it. I was given a piece of tongue and groove 1-1/8th inch sub-floor by a friend from church tonight. He just happened to have most of a sheet left over after doing some repair work of his own. I am hoping that I can use the existing tongue from the good plywood away from the door and engage the new sheet really well in the floor. This will prevent it from flexing and/or squeaking. Although it might be more important to get the sheet to slide all the way under the door. Perhaps I can undo the nails holding down the other sheet and bend it up to engage the groove on the new sheet.

All that to say, I need professional help, contractorally speaking.

For the short term, I have just covered up the hole with the new piece of plywood and it is plenty strong and wide enough to walk on to get in and out of the backyard.

No comments: