Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Pause That Refreshes

I had my contractor friend from church come over and look at the remaining problem. I had explained that I had a serious problem that I needed his help with. His first word when he looked at it "cake." Oh, not that bad, huh? No, you can take that out and clean it all up and be just fine.

The biggest thing I was concerned about was fitting a new grooved piece on to the existing tongue from the rest of the floor. Once again his experience outweighed my guessing :) He told me that I can cut the lower half of the groove off and set the new piece on top of the old piece. If I have to do that I can always place a piece of 2x6 under where the two pieces of flooring meet and support it on either end at the floor joists.

He also told me that most contractors would say "you gotta take that door out" in order to do a good job and get all the bad wood out. He told me that if I am patient and am willing to chip away the outside stucco I can do a really good job and slide a new piece of wood back in there and make it as good as new.

Well that'll have to wait until next week, there's a lot going on the next four nights, so I have to wait until at least next Monday before I can dig in and finish up the demolition.

No comments: