Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Screwin' down the hatches

Didn't get much done tonight, other than trying to tighten up some of the squeaks in the living room. I called my contractor friend and he suggested instead of crawling under the house to tighten up the extra supports under a section of the living room, I could start by putting screws through the 1-1/8th inch plywood from above and tighten it up a lot. Over ten years ago I had this same contractor put some extra support under the plywood since it spans such a great distance between floor joists, four feet. This extra support is in the form of 2x6 boards nailed in to place under the plywood on top of joist hangers. It is my suspicion that these nails are slightly loose causing them to squeak when you walk over that area of the floor. Since I didn't have exact measurements to find these extra support beams, I had to start drilling. I drilled about ten holes in the floor until I didn't feel the bit break all the way through. I then started drilling along the board to make pilot holes for the screws. Well, adding screws got rid of most of the squeak, but there is still a noticeable squeak in that area, so I still have to go under there and try to find whatever is squeaking and tighten it up, at least this way, if I have to put that part off, at least I know I have done what I can from above, it is as tight as it is going to get from that side.

No comments: