Saturday, August 18, 2007

New Flooring has arrived

We picked up the new flooring and the underlayment today.



The white boxes are filled with four layers of wood, face to face and protected with plastic and foam.





We started to open up the boxes in order to allow the wood to acclimate to the weather in our house, but after we opened up one of the boxes I read on the instructions "Do not open boxes of wood until ready for installation." Great now I have a conflict of information. I need to call the flooring store on Monday and verify which instructions I should follow.

After getting the flooring in the house, I did a little squeak hunting. There are two primary squeaks in the floor, one in the kitchen and one in the living room. In the kitchen I isolated which edge of sub-floor, and nailed all of the nails back down really tight with a sledge hammer and the squeak went away. I went in the living room and tried the same, no luck. I screwed in some more screws, no luck. I pried out the old nails, no luck. I then remembered that I a contractor put some extra support under that area, since the entertainment center used to sit there, and now the piano sits there, and it is what is actually squeaking UNDER the floor. I'll crawl under there one of these days and fix it, but for now I just cleaned up after myself and called it a day.



I really wanted to look inside the stack, so I took one piece out to look at it.

No comments: